Choose your language: italiano english
  Home » Como Lake » Tourist resort

laKE
HOW TO REACH
TOURIST RESORT
public NOTICES
nEWS AND EVENTS
TIMETABLE
FARES
FLEET
CHARTERS
cruises and trips
PHOTOGALLERY
download area
faq
LINK
CONTACT

Abbadia Lariana
Argegno
Bellagio
Bellano
Bellagio S.Giovanni
Blevio
Brienno
Cadenabbia
Campo
Carate Urio
Careno
Cernobbio
Colico
Como
Cremia
Dervio
Domaso
Dongo
Faggeto Lario
Gravedona
Isola Comacina
Lecco
Lenno
Lezzeno
Lierna
Limonta
Mandello
Menaggio
Moltrasio
Musso
Nesso
Onno
Pianello del Lario
Piona
Pognana
Sala Comacina
Tavernola
Torno
Tremezzo
Valmadrera
Varenna
Vassena
Villa Carlotta
isola comacina

Port
45° 57' 51.28” N - 9° 10' 23.10” E

From Argegno the boat continues along the western shore, territory of the ancient parish of Comancina Island.
Beyond the lake, the shore offers more unusual types of settlements: Cavagnola with its tip, Carvagnana, Sormazzana, Bagnana and Rozzo.
After a stop at Colonno, with its Romanesque San Michele overlooking the lake, and a stop at Sala, with its 18th century Villa Beccaria (restructured in the 19th century), you arrive at Comacina Island, the lake's only island.
A fortified point for the control of the lake, Comacina island was under the rule of the Romans and the Byzantines.
In 1169 it was devastated by the Comaschi (allies of Barbarossa) because it was allied with Milan during the battle which involved all Larian localities.
Donated to the Italian State by the King of Belgium in the beginning of the century, the island is now run by an organization.
Rich in both pre-historic and historic remains, the island is full of the ruins of numerous sacred structures from the various eras, the baroque Oratorio di San Giovanni is the only edifice to remain intact.
At the top of Mount Ossuccio (419 metres) is the 6th century "Santuario della Madonna del Soccorso" with its 8th century bell-tower and panoramic view of the Lake.
The Sanctuary may be reached by way of a processionary path made up of a boulevard paved with cobblestone steps and lined by 14 chapels (1635-1714) dedicated to the Mysteries of the Rosary. The chapels contain groups of polychromatic terracotta statues most of which were made by Francesco and Agostino Silva, which on a smaller scale are reminiscent of the Sacred Mount of Varese.
From Lezzeno, the first stop after Comacina Island, the view the other shore embracing the Lavedo peninsula which stretches out into the lake with the vast complex of Villa Arconati Visconti or Balbianello (named after the promontory).
The structure is comprised of several sectors: two residential buildings which were the original 6th century nucleus and may have been designed by Tibaldi for Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio.
These were eventually expanded in the 8th century by Cardinal Duni who erected the Villa Balbianello at the extreme tip of the peninsula. There is also a church, a small, picturesque wet-dock and a large park which is one of the most beautiful in the area.

comacina
© 2013 A.SAMPIETRO

2011 - Gestione Governativa Navigazione Laghi - All rights reserved - P.IVA 00802050153
valid only in Italy